Two Day Itinerary
With just two days to visit Flagstaff, you have just about the right amount of time to explore Flagstaff and the national parks and monuments surrounding the area.
Ideally, visitors to Flagstaff should try to experience the destination, following this suggested itinerary, as a two-and-a-half day trip, with 2 overnight stays. Make the most of the trip by arriving in Flagstaff as early in the morning as possible (allow for driving time from Phoenix or where-ever your trip begins) to view the San Francisco Peaks bathed in morning, midday and late afternoon light during your visit.
As we recommended in our One Day Itinerary, make the most of your time by combining two meals a day; enjoy one of many Flagstaff restaurants' brunch offerings to sustain your energy til dinnertime, or have a big early breakfast, then a midday, energy-boosting snack, and an early dinner. You'll still experience the best of Flagstaff's restaurant scene, but have more time to be out-and-about, trekking around northern Arizona.
Here is a quick point-by-point "Greatest Hits" list of things to do in Flagstaff and northern Arizona in two (or two-and-a-half days.) If you follow our One Day Itinerary for Day One, pay attention to the suggestions by season. On this itinerary, Days Two and Three are equally do-able in warm weather as cold; you'll probably just need to allow for slower driving conditions and appropriate layered clothing.
- Follow our One Day Itinerary. It's a great way to kick off your trip and give you the best of Flagstaff itself.
- Grab a hearty, early breakfast early morning
- Mike & Rhonda's The Place
- Cafe Daily Fare
- Head out to visit the area's national parks and monuments and plan to spend about 8 hours exploring and driving:
- Grand Canyon National Park - Spend at least 3 hours at the South Rim. Directions for the three possible routes to the Grand Canyon, each about 3 hours round trip, can be found here
- If you go through Williams, visit Bearizona Wildlife Park on your way back to Flagstaff.
- If you leave the park via Desert View Drive, returning through the East Entrance called Desert View, you can hit Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater on your way back via Highway 89.
- Walnut Canyon National Monument, Meteor Crater and Petrified Forest National Park - Heading east of Flagstaff along I-40, you can hit all three of these attractions. Directions can be found here
- Walnut Canyon - Take 60-90 minutes to hike along the Rim or Island Trails to view ancient pueblos and cliff dwellings
- Meteor Crater - Spend an hour at this commercial attraction is the world's best preserved meteorite impact site, located near Winslow
- Petrified Forest - Best known for globally significant Late Triassic fossils, the park is located near Holbrook and takes about 1 hour to see on a self-guided drive
- Return to Flagstaff for an early dinner at one of our recommendations from Day One
Day Three (Half Day)
- Get up and at 'em early, and have a big breakfast at a new choice from one of our suggested spots above
- Visit one of the National Monuments or Parks that you did not select on Day Two. For a half day, it may make sense to stick close to Flagstaff, so Walnut Canyon and Sunset Crater are excellent options, OR…
- …Visit Arizona Snowbowl for a half-day of riding the scenic Sky Ride, playing disc golf, hiking or attending a ranger program in the spring/summer, or skiing and snowboarding in the winter, OR…
- …Visit the Flagstaff Nordic Center for a half-day of mountain bike rental and riding (self-guided or on a guided tour) in the spring/summer, or snow biking, snowshoeing, and ski lessons in winter, or Wing Mountain for tubing and sledding in the winter
1. Arizona Mountain Inn & Cabins
2. Little America Hotel Flagstaff
3. Antelope Canyon & Horseshoe Bend
Adventure Southwest offers private group hiking and sightseeing trips to amazing Southwest destin
4. Wildland Trekking
5. Grand Canyon Railroad Excursion From Viator
6. DoubleTree By Hilton Flagstaff
We are a newly renovated hotel right on route 66. With banquet space, indoor whirlpool, outdoor J
7. Grand Canyon Railway
8. The Ultimate Off Road Adventure
9. One Day Colorado River Float Trip From Flagstaff From Viator
10. Bearizona Wildlife Park
11. GreenTree Inn Flagstaff
12. Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course
Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course is an elevated obstacle course set in the tall Ponderosa Pines
13. Grand Canyon Airlines
14. Maverick Helicopter Tours
15. Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters
16. The Geekery
17. Sedona Day Trip from Flagstaff
FLAGSTAFF, AZ WEATHER
Check out the weather conditions before you come. Winter and summer are popular, but there's no bad time to visit Flagstaff.
See Flagstaff Weather »
WHAT'S ON THE CALENDAR?
Our Flagstaff Event Calendar is full of festivals, workshops, art fairs, concerts and classes. Browse or add your event.
See the Event Calendar »
TAKING YOUR FAMILY TO FLAGSTAFF FOR VACATION?
Here are some of the most family-friendly hotels in Flagstaff and some things to do that should keep everyone happy…at least for a while.
See Family-Friendly Flagstaff »
IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE DAY TO SEE FLAGSTAFF
These are the essential things you MUST do to get the most out of your day trip.
Plan Your Day Trip Here »